Lets Discuss | Freshers Week


As a fresher, there are a few things that are expected of you. For one it's to meet as many new people as possible, in the hope they won't be too weird and you regret it instantly. The second is to drink until you're violently ill, which is exactly what I did. 

On the first night at university I found myself sitting in the kitchen of a group of people I'd met 2 minutes previous, clutching onto a bottle of Corona in the hope that someone would involve me in conversation. They did, and I ended up making friends that I speak to daily, 2 months down the line. A new form of confidence comes from within you that you've never had before and you realise that you have to go for it, cause if not you're on your own. 

Before Uni I was never a big drinker, so throughout my freshers' week lectures I was mostly concentrating on not chundering on my new class mates rather than learning the basics of the course, but that was through choice. If you don't drink, you don't have to drink. If you don't like clubs, you don't have to go to clubs. The many societies on offer at University means there's something for everyone, you don't have to follow the conventional path.

Lastly, the people you share a flat with don't have to be your best friends. I soon realised that there are so many interesting people dotted about the uni, you don't need to stick with the same people. I live with three lads and one of them put it quite rightly, but bluntly last week 'we're just flatmates, drinking buddies, thats it.' Fair play, Owen, Fair play.


1 comment:

  1. Your freshers week looks like such good fun. I'm lucky that I've made friends with my flatmates really quickly and now we are all quite close <3 Gisforgingers xx

    ReplyDelete