Ed Sheeran - X


Ed Sheeran recently released his second album after putting a song up each day onto his Spotify and YouTube channel. He has definitely strayed from the stereotypical singer/songwriter path with 'X' as he incorporates hip-hop and R&B into the mix (especially on the Justin Timberlake esque 'Sing').

It's not a complete change of direction with tracks such as 'One' and 'Photograph' being very similar stylistically with those off of '+' involving emotive lyrics of mostly love (and booze). I think this second album is a healthy progression on his older work, he incorporates rap so much more here which I personally love. However, as he states in Take It Back, 'I'm not a rapper, I'm a singer with a flow' which I think is important to stress as many people don't like this side of Ed's music, cringing when does so.

I don't know if it's Ed Sheeran's friendship with Taylor Swift that has influenced it but a large amount of this album speaks about the different women that have past through his life. Although this was prominent in his debut, it is impossible to get away from with 'X'. Especially on songs such as 'Don't' and 'The Man', which get quite intense at times.

Overall I like the mixture of folk pop and urban that this second album brings and I'd recommend you listen to it, if you haven't already. It is the highest selling album this year so if you haven't heard it, get your act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment